This ECG was obtained from an elderly man with Type II diabetes and early chronic renal failure. His serum potassium level was 6.3 mmol/L, and his BUN was 52 mg/dL. We don’t know his creatinine level.
This strip shows a junctional rhythm at a rate of 110 beats per minute. The QRS complexes are slightly wide at .10 seconds (100 ms), and they are within the parameters for supraventricular rhythm. The term, "junctional tachycardia" could be used, also, but this is not likely a "reentrant" junctional tachycardia, which would be fast, regular, and have a sudden onset. That type of junctional tachycardia is a PSVT. In this strip, we can see the underlying sinus rhythm in P waves that appear to pop up randomly.
This series of two ECGs was obtained from a 41-year-old woman who was brought to the Emergency Department and subsequently suffered cardiac arrest. ECG no. 1 is pre-arrest and ECG no.
This is an original illustration by Dawn Altman. For non-commercial use, this work is protected by Creative Commons, and is free and free of copyright for such use. For commercial use, please contact Dawn Altman at [email protected]
ECG Guru Ads - Products and Services of Interest to our Members
If you would like to place ads for products or services of interest to our readers, please contact us at Dawn...@gmail.com
1924: Willem Einthoven wins the Nobel prize for inventing the electrocardiograph.
All our content is FREE & COPYRIGHT FREE for non-commercial use
Please be courteous and leave any watermark or author attribution on content you reproduce.
Recent blog posts
- Want Some Tips On Teaching Axis Determination?
- Basics of ECG Rhythm Diagnosis Videos From Dr. Ken Grauer, M.D.
- Are You New to Laddergrams?
- ECG TEACHING VIDEOS - An Important Tool For Teachers and Students Alike
- ECG Challenge donated by Guru member "chireu".
- Jason's Blog: ECG Challenge for the months of July and August, 2014.
- Jason's Blog: ECG Challenge for the month of June, 2014.
- Jason's Blog: ECG Challenge for the month of May, 2014.
- Glossary of ECG Terms by Dr. Ken Grauer
- Jason's Blog: ECG Challenge for the month of April, 2014.
- Book Review: Dr. Ken Grauer's ECG Pocket Brain 2014, Expanded Version E-PUB
- Amal Mattu's ECG Case of the Week: Feb 17, 2014
- Jason's Blog: ECG Challenge for the months of February and March, 2014.
- All depends on how you define "degrees" - Winter Edition.
- Do You Have A Question for Our Experts?